Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Brisbane is the capital and most populous city in the Australian state of Queensland and the third most populous city in Australia. It's metropolitan area has an approximate population of 2 million.
Prior to European settlement, the Brisbane area was inhabited by the Turrbal and Jagera people, whose ancestors migrated to the region from across the Torres Strait

Friday, December 10, 2010

Kelvin Grove Village Markets

The reason I started this blog was to encourage people to go be a tourist in your own city.  We tend to have a spirit of adventure when we're on holidays somewhere that just diminishes somehow when we're back on our home turf. I'm at least a third generation Brisbane girl (3 of my grandparents were born in West End, well before it became the expensive piece of real estate that it is today) and I'm constantly surprised at how much I have to discover about my city.

This morning I headed over to the Kelvin Grove markets. I've never visited these markets before and it's surprising how timid you become...oh...what if I can't find a park...how should I dress...but it was all so very easy.  The markets were apparently quieter than usual probably due to the rain clouds looming overhead, so it was actually a pretty good morning to go check it out.  There are Christmas night markets being held on every Thursday night (3-9pm) all through December 2010, which I think would be fantastic to go visit.

The least you should know: The markets are on every Saturday from 6am - 1pm.  They are held in Blamey Street, Kelvin Grove (the road is blocked off and turned into a little market).  Admission is free.  Dogs on leads are welcome.  Parking is available on the streets around the markets.

You can see the road in this shot.  This was taken at about 7.30 in the morning, which is a good time to beat the crowds and the December heat.
This is Mei Yen Chua, editor of the fantastic book 'Brisbane's Budget Bites' . Seriously...this is essential reading for all you Bris Vegas Folks. I once picked up a copy in the Avid Reader bookshop and found a restaurant about 10 minutes walk from the end of my street that I didn't even know was there. After I visited this restaurant, I raced back to Avid Reader to buy a copy...you won't regret it!  http://www.brisbanebudgetbites.com.au/index.html

I love Mexican stuff and there's a profound lack of it in Brisbane....imagine my delight when I came across the Ixchel Imports stall. I bought a Frida Kahlo magnet for my fridge, 12 hand-painted Mexican tiles ($10- bargain!), one of the key hooks at the front of the stall and a Day of the Dead mirror all for the grand sum of $37  I think it's worth the trip to KG just for this stall alone. I have the owners card if anyone would like contact details (I just didn't want to broadcast it over a public forum)


These tomatoes are all heirloom varieties and you can mix and match for $10 a kilo. I bought a little brown paper bag full that is going to turn into a salsa for dinner.  I must be still be feeling a bit Mexican after all the bright colours of the last stall

Gluten free fruit mince pies.  Yum!

Another South American stall, this one is from Peru

No comments:

Post a Comment