Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Brisbane is the capital and most populous city in the Australian state of Queensland and the third most populous city in Australia. It's metropolitan area has an approximate population of 2 million.
Prior to European settlement, the Brisbane area was inhabited by the Turrbal and Jagera people, whose ancestors migrated to the region from across the Torres Strait

Sunday, December 5, 2010

West End Markets

The least you need to know:  These markets are held at Davies Park at West End, every Saturday from 6am until 2pm. I like getting there before 8am because it gets incredibly crowded.  Parking is always a bit of a challenge, but you can park in at the football grounds for $3 which I think helps the club to fund raise (though I haven't actually asked anyone this, I just think of the man who takes my money as being associated with the footy club).  Entry to the markets is free and you are guaranteed a wide variety of Australian made, hand crafted items from leather bags and wallets to skin care.  The food is pretty incredible here too, you'll find super fresh organic fruit and vegetables, butter, cheese, pasta, meat and seafood, artisan breads...the list goes on.
These are one of my favourite markets to just wander about soaking up the atmosphere. I always tend to take much longer than I had allocated to shop here because it's just so friendly.
The day I took this picture  it was quite drizzly and it really felt like this market had just sprung up in a rainforest on the banks of the Brisbane River. As I took this, a flock of birds flew overhead, shrieking and it seemed as though everyone stood still for a moment just enjoying the wild life

This is the gypsy spice caravan.  Coffee and Hot Chocolate with spices (chili, cinnamon, nutmeg) , so good...

I love these market bags, this stall sells all kinds of homewares and bags that have been made in Africa.

Not a terribly inspired photo, but seriously you have to try these unwaxed apples and fruit from Stanthorpe. You can try before you buy and I've never once been disappointed.

The Chilli Patch sells fresh and dried herbs, recycled timber bird feeders ($10 each- bargain!) and the most amazing proteas right now, this photo didn't do the colours justice.
They have a webpage here

I love this stall. Handmade soaps and skin care...the smells as you walk past are sublime

2 comments:

  1. I visited these markets a few years ago on a mission to pick up organic capsicums from a couple from byron bay that have a stall there every week, and I didn't have as much fun as reading about your visit! From your photos, looks like heaps of new and interesting things to browse through - you've got me wanting to drop by there on a sunny day and have a wander :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanted not to like West End markets any more after the Brisbane City Council booted out the founder (but better not get me started about the BCC and West End)...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Flea_Markets_(West_End)
    ...but there's something magic about those markets that always make me happy. I've heard there were quite a lot of sacred spots around there once upon a time and I often wonder if it's still having an influence...until the developers concrete over every shred of green that is...whoops...there I go again...

    ReplyDelete