Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Brisbane is the capital and most populous city in the Australian state of Queensland and the third most populous city in Australia. It's metropolitan area has an approximate population of 2 million.
Prior to European settlement, the Brisbane area was inhabited by the Turrbal and Jagera people, whose ancestors migrated to the region from across the Torres Strait

Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Sandlewood Op Shop

I have two words for you...vintage kitchenware.

Did that just make you a little bit intrigued? Did you lean forward in your seat just a tad?

What about Vintage linen?  Perhaps vintage hand embroidered linen? And all the profits will go to disadvantaged members of the community. That's guilt free spending in my books.  It's recycled and it's helping a worthy charity.

Sandlewood opshop is an entirely not for profit organisation (which means that absolutely no one working here draws a wage at all) that has been created to assist people in crisis situations by providing them with basic start up kits needed to set up a home.  It may be pots and pans, cups and plates...all those things that are necessary for day to day living.  Sandlewood also helps out many other areas in our community (RSPCA, Children's hospitals, educational grants)

When I asked how someone like me could best help them, the answer was an emphatic "Come in here and shop".

The least you need to know: Sandlewood Op Shop is on Beaudesert Road (on the service Road/Avison Street) in Moorooka.  You can buy plenty of vintage treasures here from 70's iron-on patches to bric-a-brac. There's a wall of good quality fiction and non-fiction books. Plenty of men's, women's and children's clothing that's arranged in sizes. All staff working here are super friendly, I once watched one of the volunteers help someone get decked out in a 70's outfit for a costume party for under $30
The opening hours are 9-5 Monday to Friday and 9-11.30 am on Saturdays (though I've visited at 2pm on a couple of Saturdays and they were still open).  If in doubt, then your best bet is to give them a call on 07 3277 3521
Treasures....vintage treasures

Vintage suitcases. I visit at least once a week and there's always loads of new  things here to buy

Vintage hand-embroidered linen.  The last time I shopped here I bought 6 linen pillowcases, all hand embroidered for $9 a pair.  Some were in their original packaging. 

More vintage kitchenware.  

This is the front of Sandlewood. Seriously, it's like Narnia in here. Just when you think there's no more little nooks that you could possibly investigate, tucked away in a corner you find an adorable silk and cotton skirt for $6

8 comments:

  1. Do you know if it's open over Christmas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They definitely are, though if it's quiet they'll shut early

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet you want those suitcases : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, some awesome stuff there! Love that top suitcase - would be perfect for yarn or fabric storage :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know, isn't it darling. I showed immense restraint yesterday by taking a couple of photos and running out to meet friends for lunch. I may have to return today to get spendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol, before I'd even read the comments, I was looking at the photos and saying to my brother that I bet he'd want those suitacases! Honestly, where do you find these places Kim! :D x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha ha
    Actually I was there on Tuesday and the top suitcase was still there...$8.50
    I almost bought it myself!

    ReplyDelete