Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

Brisbane is the capital and most populous city in the Australian state of Queensland and the third most populous city in Australia. It's metropolitan area has an approximate population of 2 million.
Prior to European settlement, the Brisbane area was inhabited by the Turrbal and Jagera people, whose ancestors migrated to the region from across the Torres Strait

Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Tip Shop- Acacia Ridge

Now, I'm in no way suggesting that this place is for everyone, rather just for those of you who are (like myself) gleaners or maybe restoration artists (which I know that I am not) or at the very least considering your environmental footprint and trying to reuse and recycle while helping out a charity.

The Brisbane Tip Shop at Acacia Ridge sells all kinds of furniture, books, electrical goods...you name it it's no doubt been here for sale at some point at incredibly low prices.  I was there at about 2.30pm on a Sunday afternoon and everything was half price.  They had a vintage lounge chair for sale for $5, which means that you could take it home for $2.50.  Mind you, it had a missing cushion and desperately needed to visit an upholsterer but it did have a solid, nicely carved wooden framework.

The down side is that everything has been salvaged from a transfer station, which is a polite way of saying that it's from the dump. All money raised goes to support the very worthwhile charity The Endeavour Foundation

The least you need to know: The Tip Shop is at 46 Colebard Street West, Acacia Ridge in an industrial estate directly across the road from the Speedway (which is definitely going to prompt another adventure soon). It's open from 8am - 4pm Saturday and Sunday only.  There were signs up saying that they'll only hold items until 4pm Sunday and then they go back on sale again, so make sure you have some way of getting your treasures back home with you.

Yup...a boat..I was walking around rubbing my eyes a lot. There was even a shed full of golf clubs and bags, I imagined some disgruntled golfer after a bad game driving straight to the rubbish tip to ditch his clubs.

I got a bit excited about the bikes (on sale at $25 each), until I saw how rusty they were. I imagine if you were clever you could recondition them, sadly I am not so there they stayed 

Surf ski's and renovation stuff.  There were quite a few nice sinks as well (laundry and bathroom)

This is inside the warehouse. My sister, bargain-hunting expert that she is, found an incredible retro dresser here for $5

 A whole room full of books. There was a man sitting on a chair reading every title and filling up a bag full of his loot.

A piano, I've no idea how much this was, but I can't imagine it would be very much

7 comments:

  1. I've always wanted a piano : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! If I'm trying to describe the tip store to anyone, I'll definitely direct them to this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing about the tip shop Kim! My brother is always on the look out for second-hand stuff to fix-up and create anew, so will definately be taking a visit! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome Linda...I so wish I was crafty..you must be an amazing family

    ReplyDelete
  6. As an aside, I visited this one week later and there was plenty of completely different stuff. It's worth visiting a few times (if it's your kind of place that is), I especially love the chance of buying vintage kitchen stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds great - do they have a phone number at all?

    ReplyDelete